Notices

Cooking With Alcohol

Old 11-01-2006, 05:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It is a personal choice. The alcohol will burn off when you cook with it. You probably have to be more cautious about desserts that have alcohol in them because they can be quite filled with alcohol. Tiramisu for example. Alot of the 1/2 decent bakeries use alcohol in their desserts.

You have to examine your motives with honesty. I don't cook with alcohol but I never did even when I drank. I have known alcoholics who were sober 40 years until the day they died who who cooked with alcohol.

Many priests in AA still take communion with wine. Many truly believe in transubstantiation.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Facts...

The following chart data comes from the U.S. Department of Agriculture with information on how much alcohol remains in your food with specific cooking methods. Keep in mind that this is the percentage of alcohol remaining of the original addition.

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

Preparation Method Percent Retained
alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
Baked/simmered dishes with alcohol stirred into mixture:
15 minutes cooking time 40%
30 minutes cooking time 35%
1 hour cooking time 25%
1.5 hours cooking time 20%
2 hours cooking time 10%
2.5 hours cooking time 5%
Old 11-02-2006, 03:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

.... That's what's retained ?

OMG, that's alarming.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD
I think TCD was referring to Jen's post Sheryl

Too many strong lovely women does tend to
confuse sometimes!

Oh my Lord! Indeed I was confused. I meant Jen - not you, Sheryl - so sorry.

Those particular characteristics - "strong," "lovely," and "female" - are like kryptonite to Superman for me. Fwiw, you dead nailed it in your post and I agree with Every Single Word.

Originally Posted by Sheryl85
I use the rule of thumb for ANY situation that causes me concern, “when in doubt, DON’T.” If eating something cooked with alcohol causes you pause for thought, and then don’t eat it. Just because I handle one situation one way doesn’t make it right for you.
Also found your anecdote about the 33-year veteran of abstinence' need to avoid poolhalls and bars and the reasons behind that need most engrossing indeed.

You see Sheryl? I did read your thoughtful post, every word.

-TCD-
(weak in the knees)
Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

No harm, no foul. :Wgla Sometimes it’s hard to keep up with who said what.

And by the way, I just love that ol’ 33 year veteran. One reason is that he also taught me the meaning of what’s on the bottom of page 84 in the Big Book. It starts by saying that we’ve stopped fighting everything and everyone, because sanity will have returned (he said, “provided that we have done everything necessary between Steps 2 through 9”). He also taught me what it did NOT say and that was that sanity would stay. That, my dear, is up to me and whether I choose to keep up with the maintenance part of the program which keeps me in contact with a Power greater than myself (in other words my working the last three steps). Sanity, “That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.” When I’m in fit spiritual condition I listen to that inner voice that can caution me about doing something and help me to practice the “when in doubt, don’t” business. That’s my HP talking to me. It also helps me to do or say the right things at the right time so I can be an instrument of His will. It’s amazing how that works. There are days when I’m still in awe of it all.

I also think it is wonderful that the author of this thread was listening to their HP and started this segment. It just goes to show you that God uses every means necessary to get His message across. I hope the author got the answer they needed.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Interesting, because alcohol evaporates at a lower temperature than water, it made sense to me that the alcohol in most dishes would burn off if cooked. Seems that isn't the case, thanks to Carol for the stats.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Unconjugated alcohol (EtOH), Tai. When you're cooking or mixing with water - who's to say?

I agree, it seems inaccurate at first blush that EtOH would not dissipate faster than water; however, the USDA chart is not referring to straight evaporation but to the burn-off rate when mixed with food or other boiling solution.

-TCD-
Old 11-05-2006, 09:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ten Chips Down
Unconjugated alcohol (EtOH), Tai. When you're cooking or mixing with water - who's to say?

I agree, it seems inaccurate at first blush that EtOH would not dissipate faster than water; however, the USDA chart is not referring to straight evaporation but to the burn-off rate when mixed with food or other boiling solution.

-TCD-
exactly! Glad I never cooked with alcohol.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
dnature

The only wine I use to have in my kitchen, I drank most of and then put the last little drops in my sauces. I would be a major trigger for me today.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

: dnature...Welcome!

I sure know what you mean!

Blessings