Acting Authentically

Old 05-26-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acting Authentically

I don't usually start threads in the ACOA section, but this has been on my mind lately, and after rolling it over a few times mentally, I realized just how significant and appropriate that is to being an ACOA in recovery.

Something that's happening for me after two years of sobriety is that I'm acting much more spontaneously, especially in social situations or at least in situations where I'm mingling with others (even in work situations, or at stores, etc.) I don't mean I'm acting without thought - much to the contrary, I find myself able to think so much more quickly it's amazing. I'm able to finally walk into a social situation with MUCH less anxiety than ever before in my life. And I've also considered that some of this might be due to my age. I'm now past the mid 30's point and tipping toward 40. Whatever it is, doesn't really matter... it's just great Ha!!

I know there are so many people in ACOA who are hurting and in turmoil and torment over family situations, and believe me, my family situation has been absolutely mind-bogglingly horrific at times, but I wanted to share a bit of hope and light today.

At some point along the way I changed from a hurt, withdrawn, enraged, sad, hypervigilant adult child to someone I barely recognize

I have found myself NOT holding back my gut instinct reactions anymore, not censoring myself quite as much, acting truly appropriately to the situation without over studying it. This is quite amazing for an ACOA I think. I am so relieved that I now have so much hope for my future. If I can come this far, there's truly no limit to the good things in store if we allow for it.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a lovely post. Living authentically is a gift and it can come with hard work, maturity and the courage to try it.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed reading this post! Thanks Soberpotamus :-)

At some point during my recovery to date, I wondered how I'd know if recovery was in the direction of progress or regress. It occurred to me that (to an extent) I could use the laundry list traits to monitor unhealthy regression and the promises for healthy progress. In that sense and in conjunction with other tools and indicators, I could keep a check on myself and avoid the pitfalls of slipping backwards so and slowly that I didn't notice regression until I was a long way up sh1t creek having long forgotten that I even needed a paddle :-)

I see a lot of the promises in your post, which makes me joyful as hope often does.

Very nice to read someone functioning in a dysfunctional world.