Help and support

Old 05-05-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help and support

I'm am writing this from a very anxious state. I found out this morning that a friend of my mom's came and took her dog while she was out (assuming this was during one of her taxi rides to get more alcohol). This happened last week, a few days after her old roommate came and took out 9 bags of trash and a bunch of liquor bottles. I was told this morning that the dog was in bad shape, skinny, could barely walk bc of over grown toe nails. The friend also said there was no water in the toliets. So I made a phone call to the water company. Her water was cut off on March 31st.
Now I am waiting another friend to get to her house, then I am calling the cops and having them force entry. I have contacted Adult Protective Services and now they are finally able to get involved because of the water being shut off.
I am nervous and scared. The "what if's" are starting and I can't get them to stop. What if she's dead? What if she's near death? What if she's fallen? etc etc etc etc.
I am pretty sure she will be leaving and heading to the hospital, as long as she's still alive.
They have to take her now, right? She hasn't had running water in over a month, she's swollen and can't move very well (according to the old roommate who saw her last week). The friend that took the dog said there was no dog food or human food in the house. They have to remove her now, don't they? Hasn't she reached the point that it's obvious, even by the law, that she can't take care of herself?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are going through this. Now that adult services are getting involved she will get medical help if it appears she needs it.

Again I am sorry. Be brave
Old 05-05-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope the Adult protection services do their job. This will help to start establish a pattern. I don't know how much you want to be involved but they should know about the dog too, if the friend could call and tell them. That would help the pattern.

There is always that possibility that the alcoholic parent will be dead from their lifestyle sooner or later. It's something I was always prepared emotionally for. I don't know what will help you prepare emotionally for that, but I had made my peace with God and my dad even though it didn't result in a good normal relationship. I'm sorry this is happening.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

She's dead. She passed away sometime over the last week.

I'm so torn up.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh no, I'm so sorry. Please be kind to yourself. This was way beyond you or anyone else. Praying for you.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When my dad died I experience a very surreal relief, and peace. I grieved for what I wished I could have had, a normal dad and normal life. But the relief has never left me. I hope you find that peace and relief.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh **** berry. I am so friggin sorry. There are no words that come to mind right now to try to comfort you
Old 05-05-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Berry, I am so sorry. I think all of us ACOAs tell ourselves that we are prepared and even expecting our parents' demise from alcoholism, but one can never be truly prepared for such sadness, and devastation.

I always think that I have grieved my AM for a long time and that I will feel mostly relief when she is gone, but there is a lot of guilt with that feeling, too.

This was a long way of saying, I am so very sorry.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So sorry <hugs>. I tell myself I'm ready for that eventuality but not sure any of us can be, really. Be kind to yourself.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry berryfines. I don't know what to say but sending thoughts and ((hugs)) your way.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss berryfines - that's so tragic.

Please know there's care and support here for you.

D
Old 05-05-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, berry.

I know that losing a parent -- under any circumstances -- is like Kialua said, surreal. Even if you've known it's going to happen. Even if you've expected it.

Just know that you are surrounded here by people who understand. Even if we haven't been in your exact situation, we know the bundle of emotions that pull in different directions whenever a beloved alcoholic is involved.

Let yourself feel whatever it is you're feeling. You don't have to name it. Just know that we're here and listening if you want to talk. Or vent. Or cry.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh berryfines!! I'm just so very sorry!! Please accept my deepest sympathies over the loss of your mother.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by berryfines View Post
She's dead. She passed away sometime over the last week.

I'm so torn up.
I'm sorry for your loss Berry....
Old 05-06-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Berry...words fail. I'm so sorry.

Please remember that you are amongst friends here, and we'll support you in any way we can. Be safe.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm so sorry for your loss Berry.

I used to fear the same would happen to my mother. Such a horrible feeling.

We're all here for you.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Peace to you and yours Berry.

I'm so sorry to hear this tragic news.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Berryfines, please accept my most heartfelt condolences. Continue to take good care of your heart. We are all here if ever you should need to sort through some emotions.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry. Please know that we are all here for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-06-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sending you some love Berryfines - praying for you to be comforted. I hope you'll post again when you can.