Authority Figures

Old 09-29-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Authority Figures

O.M.G. What a day already! So I get this call from a prominent professor in our nursing department telling me that a student named me (by full name) as someone who was telling her to do her assignment all wrong. It's a complicated situation--but at this school, the librarians have to help the students a lot with a very intense research-based assignment. It's very complicated and very specific and students often don't understand what our role is in it--I didn't necessarily do anything wrong, and I stayed out of parts of the assignment that I should've stayed out of--and when the student was questioned about her assignment--I got thrown under the bus. This happens--and my boss understands and the professor understands.

Sadly, my trait of fearing getting into trouble with authority figures just comes out loud and clear. This is a hard one for me. As soon as I saw on the caller ID who it was--and as soon as she asked for me by name--I knew I was in for it--sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach like I'm free-falling--total fight or flight. Of course, I'm not really in for it--I didn't get into trouble--I had things "clarified" to me--and I was able to tell my side of the story--to my boss who was very sympathetic and assured me that it was already water under the bridge.

But here I am--feeling ashamed. Like I'm not good enough to have this job, that I'm always screwing up. Some may think that having two masters degrees and a professional job--and normally not being viewed as an idiot, that I would "get over this," but we all know here that it's easier said than done. I feel like I totally screwed up--I expect to hear some static from the student--who was a tough one to handle as it was--sigh. I wish I was just better at accepting these things and letting them go. Pulling all resources together to let this go.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, authority figures, that's a hard one. Even when you know you are not in trouble. I see an email from so-and-so and I brace, click, read, and sigh with relief because I'm not in trouble. ha ha. Still do that all the time, it's so frustrating.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sorry for that.
thing about college is some instructors think they are 100% right and have a big power trip ego.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

robgt350,
That can definitely be a problem at times. In many cases, and in this one, it was the student who was convinced she was right and she was wrong--the faculty member was right (because she created the assignment) and I was lucky enough to get caught in the cross-fire. That also tends to happen on this campus. Every school is different and this type of thing seems to happen at this school more than the last one I worked at. Not sure if it has to do with the private, liberal arts school with the high price tag environment or what...lol.

However, I'm getting over it now--I took my break and sat in the sun and focused on other things and that helped a lot. In this job, I've found that one big challenge is not letting students place blame on me. They show up at the last minute--having done no prep with that "but my paper's due in six hours" attitude. For someone like me, it can be hard to draw the line--because if I can't help them to the extent that they think I should, they try to put the blame on me, or on the fact that our library doesn't own everything in the world--it's really just stress talking. I have to always remain cognizant that it's not my fault if they choose to start their assignments late, or misinterpret their assignments--or whatever. It's hard keeping myself separate when someone's unhappy and blaming it on me--so codependent of me
Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

search4serenity--thank you for this post...i guess I knew I had this issue...but had sort of 'forgotten' it...but it does impact me...and I am (or was in my last job) a high level business manager...but there are always people who project and blame...and in writing htis...you have helped me...the trembling comes from my shame and guilt even though I have been told they are false...guess there are layers upon layers. Thank you again...