Made a discovery

Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made a discovery

When I first quit drinking I decided to reread a book called Learned Optimism. I discovered in reading this book that I have what the author calls A Pervasive Pessimistic Explanatory Style. In a nutshell this is that inner voice we all have. The author also goes on to provide techniques to overcome this problem.

I couldnt believe it when I was reading the ACA and they talk about this thing called an inner critic. They are the same thing! So, here I am I have been using these techniques in the book to help with my depression ( they do work) and yet I didnt fully understand why I had the voice. Only that I did. The author explains it comes from something he calls Learned Helplessness. Which despite his explanation I didnt quite understand. But, now that I can see it comes from the dysfunction in my childhood I totally get it.

I absoolutely recommend if you struggle with your inner critic please read Learned Optimism by Martin E P Seligman,PhD. His cbt is very helpful
Old 09-18-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read something the other day that hit me. It said "Be careful what you say to yourself because believe it or not you are listening".

I find this to be true. I can sure talk myself down but I don't often talk myself up. I am starting to do that and I find it easier and easier to do.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Thank you for this post. Once I track down a lost library book, I'll check this one out.