View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Orion

Originally Posted by MNGirlyGirl
I've notice the past few nights when trying to sleep that I have ringing in my ears. Is that part of withdrawal or have something to do with alcohol, or is it just tinnitus? Thought I read something on SR about someone's ears ringing.
Kathy
I had this as well starting several weeks after quitting. I'd hear it when I went to bed, and it has just recently started to clear up.

My guess:

It is caused by sympathetic nervous system excitability following cessation of alcohol. Since tinnitus is not an actual sound, but rather the perception of one that is generated by the brain, ramped up brain activity, such as that induced by cessation of depressants like alcohol, benzodiazepams, barbiturates, etc., would serve to both increase the strength of the signal as well as lower the threshold for its detection.*

Think of it this way:

When you drink it calms you down, and your brain relaxes. When you stop drinking, your brain, being used to the booze, has a hard time calming down by itself and becomes both active and sensitive. The active part of the brain (sympathetic nervous system) causes the noise, and the sensitive part (limbic system) notices it more. Over time, as the brain returns to a more balanced state, the noise should fade back to previous levels.

* My view is supported by the fact that clonazepam (Klonopin), a benzodiazepam, alleviates the symptoms of tinnitus.