Old 06-02-2003, 12:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
justaround
Paused

Watch out with those two pills. Right now while you are riding what I call the "recovery high" you feel as if you are stronger and that they can't overtake you. The problem is that you won't always feel this way, the "recovery high" that you are experiencing. Highs and lows are a big part of the long road to recovery and some of those days you won't feel so great. And carrying those pills on one of those days, you will be VERY tempted. My first four to six weeks of sobriety were great, I felt as if I had it beaten. Yes, I am no longer empowered by the euphoria of drugs! I know what to do when I crave. Well....from there on out, especially during my sixth to tenth week or so on out, there were many days where I couldn't get out of bed, sat around with a flat affect, my bipolar alternated from mania to dark depression within seconds, shakes and physical anxiety, and so forth. If I had a bottle of pain pills or a bag of cocaine I WOULD have used. I can't be around drugs. I have admitted that I am powerless over alcohol and drugs and admitted that my life had become unmanageable (the first step). Which means I can't carry around two Percodan with me and pull them out to remind me that they can;t control me. Wouldn't I remember all the evil they did?? The comedown?? The addiction??? Ya sure, but you know what, that high sure is dandy. That is the demon in my head that will allways be around, sitting around the corner lifting weights...just waiting for me to slip. All I know is from my experience. I don't know why you feel a reason to carry around your drug of choice to remind you. This is what the fellowship is for. Have you attended AA or NA? Since we are powerless over our drug use, none of us can successfully be around our drug of choice and not use, which is why we learn what scenes to not go near, people not to be with, and to avoid situations where our substance may be present.