View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 08:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Buzz Kilowatt

I believe that rapid detox is geared to overcome the discomfort of acute withdrawal symptoms. For most folks these very unpleasant symptoms last 5-7 days, depending upon usage and individual body chemistry. If you go cold turkey, you will be in hell for a week but it will get better.

I'm no expert, but I don't see how rapid detox can address the CHRONIC symptoms of protracted withdrawal. The brain and nervous system have to adjust to having no opiates and this takes time. (Golf, pls. correct me if I'm wrong).

In other words, the rapid detox might make you get through the 1st phase of withdrawal, but it doesn't "fix" the underlying neuro-chemistry. It offers no guarantee that you won't relapse.

If it is "easy" to quit then it will be easier to start back. The nastiness of withdrawal symptoms is the essence of BOTH relapse and sobriety. in other words, many relapse because of the discomfort but others (me included, hopefully) will remember what a b**ch it is to quit and have no desire to go through it again.

On a related subject, Google "kindling effect" and "opiates" and you'll read that each time you go through the addiction / withdrawal process it gets harder.

Maybe there is some truth to the adage, "no pain, no gain" as it applies to addiction.

Some people report good results weaning off using Suboxone. But it has its detractors, too.

For someone who has a high degree of pain coupled with high opiate usage you can bet that depression will occur during recovery. There are effective treatments for that, but because of the severity of both you may need the care of an addictionologist and perhaps a pain management expert and psychiatrist.

It would be convenient to get the back surgery done before complete withdrawal so that he would not have to take high doses of pain meds in the near future -- the odds of relapse are higher, IMHO. But that is really a decision for an MD; I don't know how well an opiate user responds to general anaesthesia but I suspect there are special concerns and considerations.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel that is not the headlight of the approaching train. Deciding not to be an addict pays wonderful dividends, like you get to get your life back.

Good luck. This will not be easy but it will be very good if you succeed. I wish you both well.

Buzz