Old 03-05-2006, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rider

someone explain maintenance drinker to me!

okay, all, opinions.

my ex-abf and i do interact and see one another at times. (turns out the reason for that is so that i can remind myself why we don't live together any longer! because it is never good. once he starts drinking he is rude, angry and abusive.)

anyway, the other day he told me that his therapist gave him some sort of test and the results were that he is a maintenance drinker. well, 9-12 beers a day for 25 years... wouldn't that be an alcoholic???!!!

he made it sound like his therapist thought it was no big deal. oh yeah, and he "only" did a bag of heroin a day for three years. not a problem as others in his group were doing so much more! so I must have way overreacted to his using. (huh? thousands of dollars and the lying, lying, lying??? i'm overreacting?)

he almost makes me believe that his heroin addiction was no big deal and his alcohol consumption is okay.

also, he told me that he awakens now a couple of times during the night and drinks a beer to go back to sleep. this is new behavior since he moved out.

so this maintenance drinking is 24/7 it seems. maintain it all day and all night. and that is not a big problem? he called me at 7:30 this morning and was so nasty to me that he could only have been still drunk or very hung over.

i think he is becoming delusional.... i am so glad he is not under my roof any longer.