View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 06:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paul83

Hey tryingthisagain, a big congrats on having the courage to end this crazy merry-go-round and having the courage to reach out and ask for help. Through my years of drug abuse, the last stint I went on was with unsynthasized opiates for a period of 7mo's, with an everyday escalation until I was putting about 3 times as much into my system as you seem to be. I did a cold turkey withdrawal and was unable to function for about 5 days, which included working, eating & sleep. I can't stress to you enough how great it is that you have recognized this problem so early, most people spend years developing enough initiative to finally get serious about quitting. What I would reccomend is that you break any committments you have for the first few days. I went through a lot of "first few days" while I was still working & going to school, what I didn't realize was this stressed me out so much on a subconscious level and by the end of completing a hellish task I would always give myself a "justified" reward for completing it. That's a very bad trap to be in. I would also reccomend that you reach out into programs in your area to find others who are going through the same dilemma as you, as the good book says one addict helping another is without parallel and boy is that true. It helps a lot to meet people and share your hells with them, because at least for me, I felt like I had to haul my ass back there every day after and fess up to them. In a sense, it gives you someone to answer to, someone to keep a promise to. Good luck with this dude & remember that whether you feel high or low, keep in mind that nothing good or bad lasts forever and TODAY is the start of the rest of your life.

Paul