View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

The way it works out here is that there is only one disease, and only one program of recovery. However, every human being is different. The place where the two meet is the _fellowship_ in which an individual identifies.

I have some good friends in OA. I attended some of their meetings. I identified not at all with their discussion of Jenny Craig, and especially not with the concept of "healthy consumption" of their drug of choice: food. They practice the same spiritual steps I do; the twelve steps, but the specific behaviors they use in the application of the twelve steps are very different from the actions I need to practice.

The different fellowships, and the different "special interest" groups within each fellowship exist for the purpose of providing identification and opportunities for action. Which specific fellowship, sponsor and group are best for each person is a matter of that person's needs at the time. Those needs will change with growth. A sponsor, a group, a fellowship, are not forever. Only the HP and the program are forever.

The short version of the above is "If it works, don't fix it"

Mike :-)