View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
collinsmi

Question AA/NA Sponsorship question

I'm an alcoholic, coming up on 9 years sober. Started working with a newcomer about 2 months ago who I met at an AA meeting. Real great guy, real enthusiastic about recovery and willing to follow directions. Seems to be able to identify with and exhibits the classic personality traits/delusional thinking that our common to us alcoholics. I only have one concern. I'm not sure he's an alcoholic anymore, I think he's a meth addict instead. Meth seems to have been the great chemical love of his life, while drinking was an amusing hobby. For me, it was the other way around. Drugs were fun, but I was able to put the ones I used down without too much trouble while I'd drink no matter what. For that reason, I'm wondering if he might be better served by having an NA sponsor, but I don't know enough about drug addiction, NA and how you guys work the program. I'd hate to give the guy up as a sponsee, but I don't want to hamper his reecovery if he'd be better off with an addict sponsor. How different are alcoholism and meth addiction? Comments?