View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Jane63

Windysan....extra **{HUGS}} for you cause going to the dentist, for me, is the absolute WORST experience!! Hate it!!!
I have always gotten the gas {nitrous} first and when I am relaxed enough then a shot or two of novicaine...If not, it is pretty hard to keep me in the chair!! LOL!
For pain relief afterwards you can take up to 800mg of Ibuprofen...you don't have to spend a bunch of money on a script, just get the generic kind which is 200mg a pill and take 4 or 3 which is 600mg...which ever works best.
I also use Excedrine Tension for my TMJ and it helps very well as does heat applied to the area, but I would ask your dentist about hot or cold first.{which is better}

I know they sometimes will give Ultram for pain afterwards which is addictive but if I had to try something stronger that would probably be my first choice. If something even stronger is needed though, my plan is always to ask for the smallest amount at the pharmacy and put the rest on hold...like if your dentist gives you a stronger pain medication in the amount of 20, have your pharmacist give you a bottle of 6-8 and keep the rest on hold...chances are you won't need them and can call and have them take it off hold. {hope that makes sense!!} I only....absolutely ONLY would do this if the pain was really bad, my dentist was aware of my addiction problem and my husband was monitouring my intake!!! {I have alot of dental 'issues' and still suffer with occasional TMJ pain so I have sort of planned this out in the event that I would ever have to take opiates again...thankfully, I have not!}

Hope this helps abit and good luck with your apt! Just talk to your dentist, above all be truthful and let him know of your concern for pain control...you will be fine!
Jane