Thread: Shaking hands.
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
earlybird

Are you just a day or two into sobriety? Because I agree with the above, when they say seek a Dr. perhaps. Usually if you drank alot for alot of months or years, the shakes is only the beginning of a much worse few days ahead. Are you just talking like mild shakes? For your sake, Id go to a doctor just to be sure. I didnt the first time I tried to quit and I went into delirium tremens, had a seizure, and split my head wide open. The third time, my heart stopped for 45 seconds and they had to use a defibrilator to jump start me back up. Both times started with mild shakes that I thought Id get over,...and it seemed like it was getting better, then all the rest started. I asked my substance abuse doctor about it after the fact and he said that its very common for someone who drinks alcoholically on a regular basis to go through that. Be smart. The stats shocked me when he showed them to me

1 out of 1000 people die of a heroine withdrawal
Sounds standard. Sounds terrible,...but standard, really.

But then this one freaked me out.

1 out of just 33 people die of an alcohol withdrawal. BIG difference. Both of these senarios are based on people that dont seek medical treatment during withdrawal. So up your antee. Its worth looking into. But dont wait. You may be sorry. Good luck. You can do this !!!