Old 07-05-2017, 02:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
I will say that I don't believe in the group of drunks concept, for the same reason you mention, but some refer to the 'spirit of the tables', which is essentially G-d as expressed through the group, or the group conscience. In my mind, this is still of little use to atheists, since they wouldn't believe in a G-d to express itself, but this is probably where the idea came from, along with AA's roots in the Oxford Group, and what was termed 'groupism' in its heyday.

That's an important difference, Dee. Some say 'stick with the winners', and RR says stay away from a pool of non-swimmers if you want to learn how to swim. A group of ex-drunks, perhaps?
Well before AA came on the scene there was a group of ex drunks called the Washingtonians. No program, no religion, no higher power, just a great enthusiasm for sobriety and sobering up others. They grew like crazy. I understand one of their meetings had an incredible 35000 in attendance. Then after about five years, the leader picked up, then a few others did, then everyone did and, poof, they were gone. Even a huge group of drunks like that couldn't keep anyone sober.