Old 07-04-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Why would a group of people who admit that they cannot manage their own drinking or their own lives be able to manage mine?
Very good point Zen. Obviously they could not. I cringe at the group of drunks concept when it is put forward as a long term higher power. People have feet of clay, they are fallible, and unreliable, even with the best intentions.

The idea of using the group as a Higher power in the early days of sobriety does make a certain amount of sense if no other power than your own is available. It worked ok for me. In matters concerning not drinking, they had something I did not. The ability to stay stopped. They obviously knew something I didn't, and if I accepted that and agreed to accept their guidance I might found out how that was accomplished.

I had no idea of any higher power other than the group, but after a time following their suggestions, I was able to develop a concept that worked for me. In this process the group never tried to impose its will on me, nor did they offer advice on anything other than how to recover from alcoholism.