View Single Post
Old 09-18-2005, 08:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
StayingSober

Substitute for alcohol. Is there any?

I find that whilst I do have my drinking under control, I do still drink a couple of beers a week (only light beers too, anything stronger scares me because I don't trust myself with it) but whilst this doesn't bother me, there are people in my life who I don't want to hurt and if I go from 2-3 beers a week to about 10 a day again, then that would be hurting them.

So I want to stop drinking. Maybe one or two drinks a year, maybe one drink every few months, that doesn't bother me. I just don't want to be so close to falling back into old habbits again.

My problem though is that I like the taste of alcohol, I find that often after a stressful day I'll go and sit outside with a beer and think about life, it usually calms me down pretty well, but the problem is that it makes booze something I like... I've tried all sorts of crazy drinks to replace alcohol but nothing else seems to work the same. A strong coffee usually works, but for that I need people around me to talk to, otherwise it doesn't help. I'm just curious if anyone else has found a good substitute for alcohol... just something to drink instead of it?

If not, well, I expect that it'll take me a long time to completely stop drinking, but I'll still get there eventually.