View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
VigilanceNow

Question Unsure what to tell a friend...

So a very good friend of mine has struggled on and off with severe alcoholism for years. He got sober for about four years, but recently relapsed and it seems every time I see him he's wasted and tries to lie about it. I have a lot of empathy for him as this was me many times, and he and all my other friends were very supportive when I got sober.

He's finally come clean and told me he wants to get sober, but has been relying on hard liquor for the past few weeks and can't stop. He asked me to help him taper down with controlled use of beer. I told him it would be much safer and more successful to go into a detox facility.... He flat out refuses. He doesn't want his girlfriend to watch him like this and says I'm the only one who can help him.

I tried tapering after a relapse about a year ago and was totally unsuccessful. I want to help him, but I just don't know about this. It makes me nervous to be responsible for monitoring someone who a) has a history of lying about drinking and b) might have things hidden and will just get wasted in front of me. What would you do?! Thanks :-)