Old 05-27-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  
teatreeoil007

Originally Posted by Tiredofdrugs View Post
It is fascinating how a setting hen will hatch anything in an egg! But that would also include golf balls, fake ceramic eggs, small bowls, light bulbs, etc. They have a one track mind! LOL They become very protective of their babies, no matter what it is!

When I lived on the Dairy Farm in WI? I had my Appaloosa mare bred to an Arabian Stallion. She gave birth on a moon lit night. Several days later the colt went under the hotwire. That mare was freaking out. She wouldn't go near that wire though. I yelled for the Farmer to turn the hotwire off. He laughed and said: "It's been off since she gave birth!" Well damn! Animals are smart and know when there's danger!

My dad raised guineas! One day when I was a little girl I saw two males fighting. No matter how much I yelled at them? They wouldn't stop. So I picked a small rock up and threw it at them. Well be damned if I didn't hit one in the head. It fell over, laying there still. Oh snit! I just squatted down, wrapped my arms around my legs and placed my chin on my knees and rocked back and forth. I just knew my dad was going to skin me alive for killing his guinea! Well before too long? That guinea got up and stumbled off. Shew!

Around 8 yrs old I went out to the pump house to turn on the water faucet. I was barefoot and stood in the puddle from the dripping water. I grabbed the faucet to turn it on and started screaming. It was shocking the crap out of me. I couldn't turn loose of it! Dad heard me screaming and came running. He grabbed me off the faucet and quickly turned it off! He made sure I was okay and then immediately checked the ground wire on the system. Mice had chewed thru the wires. He quickly replaced it and I was never shocked again. Thank goodness dad was an electrician!

TOD
Yes, talk about MINDSET. Good lesson with setting hens. When they are of a mind to 'set' nothing will sway them!!

Thanks for sharing some of your farm life adventures. Good God hardly ever a dull moment.