View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
I served on a jury for a DUI twenty years ago. We found him guilty and afterwards the judge came in to thank us because this was his fifth DUI conviction (a fact they couldn't mention in the trial) and in her words, "now I can send him to jail quick before he kills someone."

You know that if he does hurt or kill someone, you could both be ruined financially by a lawsuit, right? Same with your daughter, because she's still a minor.

Good for you for getting that breathalyzer installed and congratulations on your new career...that will give you options.

Wishing you strength and clarity.
I DID TOO. I got jury duty right after college and it was a DUI case with a local restaurant owner. One of his lawyer's main points in his defense was that a conviction would mean he lost his liquor license and probably as a result his business.

Insert [construction worker who contributes to safe buildings/etc] for [restaurant owner] and you have the same issue. Someone who is responsible for the safety of others- one, sober work to build and the other, the responsibility of a license to serve the public food and drink (who themselves- neither one- can do their jobs responsibly).

All of us, alcoholic or family members, spent time in some amount of denial about the problem. Getting "help" in prison is possible- he could have mandatory AA meetings for example - but killing himself or someone else driving drunk is Vegas odds on the house.

I will likely bow out of this thread in the interest of remaining kind and constructive- because your comments about y'all's approach being how-to-get-out-of-things is infuriating, honestly, and in denial of reality and what is CONSCIONABLE for all. And, I can assure you as the child of an alcoholic, none of your children remain unaffected.