View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by Fatboyanon View Post
I just got some good news from the doctor I am a little over 4 1/2 months sober I have really taken my health seriously this year and have lost a lot of weight . A lot of the health issues I worried about I found out today that there's no lasting damage to my organs from my alcoholism.I contribute this to my higher power. But when I got the good news all I could think about was this means I can start drinking again. That feeling stayed strong with me for awhile. anybody ever felt like this? I definitely will not drink I just thought this was strange feeling For great news
you (and society) have spent a long time conditioning you to believe that good news = celebration and celebration = DRINKING.

crazy, huh?

Here's a great opportunity to begin retraining yourself, rewiring your brain.

Make up a new kind of celebration.

Maybe do a conscious gratitude ritual. Maybe just journal it. Maybe ask a close friend to accompany you to a wide open space and tell them your news and ask them to share in your joy for a moment in honor of your good news and your new path of sobriety. Maybe call three loved ones and share your news and tell them that your new mode of celebration is going to be to share your joy with those you care about, and ask them to hold you in their thoughts in this moment as part of your celebration. Maybe throw a rock of gratitude into a lake. Maybe simply smile and scream out loud THANK YOU!!!!

It matters less WHAT you do, than that you simply do..... something. Respond to this good news - in celebration - but in a new and different way that begins to create a new habit.

And, congratulations.

GOOD NEWS!!!