View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

topic at an AA meeting this weekend was "what does it mean to be a normal human being"?

wow, what a loaded question, right?

Here's what I think is 'normal' about Being Human as a Human Being:

every human being has fears, doubts, anger, sadness, questioning, anxiety, love, frustration.... in short - emotions of some kind.

every human being responds to those emotions in some form or another. some drink. some are obsessed with running. some meditate. some trust in Jesus. some practice magick. some stuff it all down inside and have heart attacks. some go to counseling. some talk it out with friends. some deny. some have eating disorders. most respond with some combination of the above and / or any of a million other responses...... but every human being responds.

every human being is on a journey - learning about the world outside and to some degree or another about the world inside.

every human being is wandering around on that journey, basically doing the absolute best they can at that given moment with the tools they've got and the lessons they've learned.....

and every human being is in the process of discovering what it is they're here for, what is their purpose, what is it that this life will be.

I think this is all "normal"..... I think what's Normal about Being Human as a Human Being is that we're ALL of us wondering (whether we admit it or not) whether we're 'normal' and just what the hell that means.....

and when we come to a place of recognizing that maybe 'normal' isn't what's important.....

that maybe the most important thing is honoring our own path with as much depth and integrity as we can.... and honoring the paths of others with as much respect and compassion as we can.....

maybe 'normal' just really doesn't even matter at all.