View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Confused7

I am in the same situation

Originally Posted by Needsomechge View Post
I'm in the exact same situation as you, my very best friend & boyfriend is 2 months into a 10 month drug recovery program. I have learned here and at nar-anon meetings that this is the time to take care of myself, and I am trying, I am going to meetings, doing the readings, journaling, ect...but I find it all very hard when so much of what I am learning I want to share with him and can't. I have no idea what he is even thinking. His recovery program is definitely shutting me out, and as much as the reality hurts, I am scared that that concept will transfer with him after his treatment possible, if that is what they are telling him he needs to do (and it sure seems like they are). I feel like I am stuck in such LIMBO.

I understand recovery with family is very important, but what really bothers me is that it was NOT his family who suffered at the hands of his addiction, it was not his family whose money he spent to feed his habit, who lost their self-identity to him, and have to live with the shame of accepting you let someone take this from you. (I am NOT playing the victim, even though that last sentence could come off like that, I really am passed that- I, and I stress I, make the choice not to leave him earlier, and therefore I have to accept responsibility that it was my decision to stay that caused me to lose everything for him, and I can not blame anyone else. )

The point I am trying to make is that my boyfriends parents never would of know he was addicted to drugs if I hadn't called and told them. He lived on the opposite side of the country, and he only saw them on xmas each year for about 5 days. I lived with him, before he was an addict and then through his addiction, a total of 4 years, I was the one whose life began completely unmanageable because of his addiction. Their lives were not even shaken his addiction, whereas he left my life in shambles. Since his treatment program's first priority is healing their family relationship, I can't stop myself from feeling like a piece of garage, and even worst I start to question myself, am I some "demon" to his recovery? Do they even care to acknowledge what hell he has put me through...and maybe even pause and consider, "This girl, she is probably in a lot of pain right now too, and needs some type of closure". I just feel so menial.

I am sorry I didn't really give much advice, I am looking for some too, and for not I am just trying to let go of my anger, and concentrate of me. I have to let go of my bitterness to heal, I know that. Good luck, and please, keep me informed on your progress, I would love to share more with you about our similar situations. Have a great evening.
I am going through the same thing you are I think. It was me Who has taken so much of the brunt of things when he was here . I haven't heard anything for over 10 days and it's very frustrating. Because I am in the medical field I do understand what the staff is doing but at the same time nobody is here to help the others that are so-called left Behind. We are really stuck in limbo as we are not informed of anything. I do not know whether to just leave the entire relationship after eight months as though it never occurred or to try to stick it out, Because truthfully I really don't even know what he feels now and to be honest I don't even know if I know the real him at all. I do not know if this is by his choice not to contact me or if it is discouraged and he just simply doesn't have time. I really have no idea. I'm like you though in the fact that I tolerated more than what I should have because I care about him but after doing so much and handling everything I could when he was here, I now feel abandoned and very confused and as each day goes by I begin to get more angry. I know that it something that had to happen because I know that he would be dead if he did not do something about the addiction but at the same time I feel like somebody should at least have enough respect to keep me in the loop or give me some kind of closure. I'm at the point where I don't know if I should just start over with a new life without him.