View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
angelgirl
You're never alone!!

Hi there, and WELCOME to SR. This is a wonderful site, and I'm certain that you will find much support here. I am on suboxone. I also have been on prescribed xanax while on the suboxone, although I have since been switched to ativan, because it works faster, and I was having some real severe panic attacks that were so bad, I ended up in the ER a few times, and my blood pressure spiked very high.
The doctors do not like to mix benzo's such as xanax or ativan with suboxone, because it can cause respitory failure. But I have not had any problems at 2 milligrams. I have been at 3 mgs of ativan at times, but NOT very often, my normal dose is 2mgs. The only reason I have gone any higher, is in the case of a panic attack, and I would not go above 3mgs.
From what I understand is the doctors try to wean you off the xanax, while on the suboxone. That is what I have seen done. Although due top the problems I have had, they want me to be at 2mgs.
I do know people that they have weaned off xanax while on sub,. You'll probably meet some of them here.
I can tell you that suboxone has been a life saver for me, it has helped me so much. I am learning to live my life, not based around taking those pain killers, and worrying about running out, and doing terrible things to get more. Maybe you know someone who has taken it, but if you follow your doctors orders, it can be a very good experience. I have not tapered off the sub yet, but I know my time is coming. I do know some that have, and even that hasn't been a real bad experience. There have been people here who have actaully tapered and are now drug free!!! That is so cool.
I don't know what your doctor will tell you, and it seems to me that they all do things differently, some make you go to therapy, and/or treatment or NA. All of it is really a good thing to do anyway. Some don't make you do much of anything. My doctor has not made me do anything at all, which I don't think is real good, the stricter the better, so it's easier to get back off the sub. and be drug free. Although my doctor doesn't make me do anything, I still attend a weekly recovery meeting, and I go to a weekly dual diagnosis group, as well as see a therapist, and I finished an intensive outpatient treatment group about a month ago. I have been on the sub since May.
Doctors seem to also have differences in opinion on how long a person should remain on the suboxone. My doc. said I would be on it for 3-6 months. This is like my 3rd month. So I should begin my taper soon. I think.
I know I have given you much more info. then you asked for, but I figured we are always better off well informed.
Oh, by the way, be sure to tell your doctor you are on the xanax, because most do drug tests. Soem do weekly drug tests.
Please stick around and get to know people. like I said, it's a great place.
Please also let us know after your appt. what the doctor said. It's good info. to know what different doctors do, so when new people come here like you, it's easier to give them more info.
Happy to meet you, Love, Becky