View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 04:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
equus

But not being able to veiw the questions makes me think that this could be another way of clogging the system with more paper work...
I think that's to limit it to proffessional use - and I agree with that absolutely for two reasons. First of all the psychological profile scared me with it's accuracy, I don't think anything like that should be placed at risk of being used without proper support. Secondly it measure vulnerability to substance dependency disorders - not just the presence of them. The evidence of the power of self fulfilling prophecies is enough to again make me agree it should NOT be taken by anyone except to help with their substance misuse. Even if that does mean I can't have a go!

I would hate to see this test applied by any Tom, Dick or Harry that can add up.

Edit - sorry I forgot to answer your question regarding whether it relies on honesty.

which identifies substance abuse and dependence disorders, even when the individual is unable or unwilling to acknowledge a problem or symptoms associated with it.
This is a quote from the quote above and has been one of the reasons for my surprise. Without understanding how psychometrics work it's difficult to explain how what they claim can be achieved - but to test beyond how a person would like to appear is a primary goal of psychometrics as a method (hence my scepticism).

The results of this totally blew me away - the results of the profile demonstrated to me the validity of the results about D not being defensive or trying to hide stuff. His profile results had nothing to do with his 'image' and EVERYTHING to do with all his 'buttons'. It certainly achieved it's goal of guiding the counsellor!

I also think it validated to D that they do have something to offer!