Thread: 900 days sober
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AndyGreg

900 days sober

I've never been to a AA meeting that got me sober. I like to believe i did it on my own. I don't remember what got me sober because there were quite a few things that got me to rock bottom.
During the time I gave up alcohol, I would read so much about alcoholism, sobriety, breaking habits, controlling self-control. I'd spent so much time on thinking about being sober and counting my sober date that I felt I wasted my years. I could of gone to school, I could of joined a gym, I could of done something to make my self better. Yes, I know all this work got me where I am today, 900 days sober. (A bit of advice for the ones that are thinking about quitting addiction, do something that will help you in the future instead of watching/waiting the clock/days/years go by) You won't get them back.
I know I wasted my days being a drunken slob but I thought me being sober would smarten me up. Sober is a accomplishment in it self but u still have "life" to accomplished. Career, college degree, house, wife, children. I know for some this isn't important but being sober doesn't stop there.
For the first time of my life I feel like my life is pushing me in the right direction. I'm 30 years old, I have a car, i have a job, got employee of the month, I have a safe place to sleep, i get my hair cut every two weeks, I bought my girlfriend a expensive diamond ring, Im getting married and can afford a wedding, I have money in the bank, we got a loan for a house. I wouldn't be able to do all this if I wasn't sober. This sounds so basic/normal but for a alcoholic it's very difficult.
There is time like these past two weeks where I wanted a cold beer regardless of how many days or years its been I still think about drinking. It's so easy to drink a beer but it's hard to stay away. I still get anxiety and depression, I eat healthy but it usually goes away the next day. I've learn to deal with stress but it doesn't go away. It's always gonna be there but this time I'm sober.
I've never talk about my problem with anybody, I think my girlfriend (I mean fiancée) has a idea but I don't talk with her about it. I usually read or google somebody's story. So that's how I found sober recovery, this is my first time posting. I needed to vent, I feel by me writing this is helping me understand where I was and where I am now.
This is all based on my opinion and experience, this doesn't mean I am right so take it as you please.
Favorite quote: "You enter sobriety, GOOD now get your ass off that couch and do something"