Old 02-26-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
seek

Using Techniques from LOA to Cope With Relative's Alcoholism - Working Practice Thread

I have studied the LOA for quite some time. I like to listen to Abraham Hicks vids on YouTube.

I have a history in 12 Step, but am no longer interested in focusing on the problem - want to upgrade to focus on solutions and "reach for better feeling thoughts."

If you are interested in helping each other reframe stuff and "reach for better feeling thoughts," and explore someone else's bothersome actions from a LOA standpoint, that would be awesome.

I know the principles, but need the practice to deal with real time events.

One of the theories is that it is not helpful to tell the story - that that only creates more of the same - which I want to avoid like the plague. So I will be vague and say that I am having worries about my relative and see him in a negative place and am struggling with some old memories and beliefs I have - also projecting scary scenarios into the future. One of my main beliefs is "I can't cope" - so fear.

I use the Emotional Guidance Scale to see where my thoughts are on any given subject. Today, I started making a list of some of the things that are bothering me - and then "reaching for a better feeling thought" on each problem. I was able to move up one or two numbers on each problem, so that is progress.

Besides the LOA, I also use EFT (I like to do it in the shower), and aromatherapy. When I have posted about this stuff in other sections, I was sometimes ridiculed. I am hoping that in this forum, I can attract some like-minded people and really make some progress in the thoughts and beliefs that tend to be problematic for me.

Today, I did not want to get out of bed. Abraham Hicks teaches that when you are in a negative thought space, sleep resets you - so naps are encouraged when you're not feeling great. I did get up and did some basic stuff - and then went outside/went shopping - noted my mood uplift a bit - wrote some of the things that are bothering me down, printed out the Emotional Guidance Scale, did some work on going up the scale a bit on some troublesome thoughts and now am posting in this forum.

I still don't feel great, but I am hopeful that I can do better and better. I am going to take a bath and then relax some more.

I feel I am somatizing my fears cuz my body is achey. An initial concern was that I might be feeling my relative's pain. I do tend to do that.

One of the thoughts I have that is helpful is that "Everyone is on their own path." I am now expanding that to thinking about everyone's sovereignty . . . I want to do some more work to strengthen this idea . . . this does relate to my spiritual beliefs, so it's not "secular," per se, but working on it in this forum, as opposed to 12 step forums is "secular" for me. My thinking is that everyone comes here (to Earth school) for a reason - to expand consciousness - and what they then do here is their own soul's business. I can nurture someone as a child and try to inspire health and well-being, but if that doesn't take, then I haven't necessarily failed or wasted my time (thoughts I sometimes have) - I believe that every kindness is never wasted . . . so if something does not resonate with someone else, it's because we are not on the same wavelength (it's a vibrational universe and everything is vibrating at certain frequency).

I also struggle with wondering how I can be happy if the person I love the most in this life is unhappy. I feel we have deep bonds and connections (as opposed to pathologizing "co-dependency" theory, which puts empathic/nurturing people into a box labeled "sick"). I believe in past lives and know I had many with this person and see this person as a teacher to me in this life - that we had a pre-life agreement that he would do "x" and I would do "y" for growth. I "believe" these things, in theory, but I must have other conflicting beliefs because I look at's what's happening and get all freaked out (hard to put distance between it).

These are just some of my thoughts today.

If you have some similar thoughts, and in particular, would like to use LOA theory and other alternative modalities to cope with someone you love's addiction, I hope you will post on this thread.

And if no one does respond, I might use this thread to try to work on these issues myself. I do hope some people will respond, though. I am always looking for like-minded people to form a support group.