View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by sauerkraut View Post

Is it helpful to a recovering person to draw attention to their days of sobriety? Is that why other programs emphasize one day at a time but also recognize the days, weeks, months, and years that someone has stayed sober?

What have you all have found are effective ways of reinforcing your partners' sobriety?
My husband didn't really keep track of days.. he was inpatient for close to 90 days so that was obvious.. LOL.. and the first year we celebrated a half year I think. from then on we have been doing something special for the yearly date.. it was 3 years last month. But it hasn't been so much about his days exactly.. its more about the recommitment we both have to creating a healthy life both mentally and physically, along with an ongoing commitment to each other and our family. We were separated for a while, so its oddly like an anniversary for us.

My husband doesn't keep track of days because he feels it holds a person in the past, and can keep people stuck in recovery instead of being recovered and moving beyond.

I think initially it can be helpful for some people. and I also think when you are sharing with others it can be helpful to include length of time so people know its do-able. 100 days can seem overwhelming when you just start out, so hearing people say I made it 200 days can be inspiring.

I cant imagine 90 days without chocolate.. and I don't say that as a joke... seems impossible to me.

I guess in the end, its all a very personal decision.