View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Csmcjewl

RJ,
Probation is really quite easy depending on how strict they are going to be for you. I had very relaxed probation for 6 months when I got my drunk driving. Basically I went in, she asked if I was going to my classes (checked the sheet I had to get signed), asked how things were going and let me go. It was a 5 minute deal and very painless even though I tended to get nervous everytime I went in there. I only met once a month though (if that, sometimes she told me to come every other if things were going ok). so total I probrably saw her 4-5 times.
I also have spent 4 months on an internship with the local probation/parole dept. (Yeah, Criminal Justice major in college and Then got arrested and ended up on probation myself!) I do know at that internship there are varying amounts of time the probationers want to see people. Some are once a month and others are once a week. Sometimes they'll do random drug testing (which you usually have to pay for!) and they may ask about your income but only for the sake of getting the fines paid off. As long as your paying what they want, they should basically leave you alone about it. They will call your residence randomly and 'check up' on you with someone else who knows you when you don't know it...watch for that. (I had that job!)
Basically though, it's as simple as...if you follow the rules, do what they want....probation is easy and really only becomes an inconvenience to 'check in' all the time. It's nothing to worry about as long as your doing what they want. However, never forget the power they do have...after all, they are the ones who recommended your sentance in the first place so, it's likely they are the reason you're there and they are the ones with the power to send you to jail/prison if you violate the rules.
I hope that helps!!
Stacey