View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
GG733

Originally Posted by StayingSober
I hated life when I was drinking too, but now without alcohol to 'help', I really don't like life.

It's only been 3-4 weeks since I stopped, I still want to drink just as badly though.

My daily routine has gone from waking up at about 10 am, drinking, waking up in the afternoon having passed out on the floor, drinking a little more and then maybe go for a walk.
To now where I'll try to spend as much time out of the house as possible, and keeping healthy, most of the time doing whatever I have to do during the day instead of staying home and drinking. Basically, a healthy, well functioning life (at least compared to a month ago). And once I find a job and maybe even get back into school it will be a well functioning life.

All of this and I feel like I'm living a lie. Pretending to myself that things are getting better when they aren't. Maybe my problem is my life and that's what makes the drinking so bad. Or maybe it's feeling like I 'need' a drink so badly that's making my life like this...

I guess the point to this thread is to ask if the absence of alcohol does stop being so hard to deal with. And I know that alcohol isn't the answer to anything but I was dependent on it to hide from my problems for a reason, because I had no other way to either hide from my problems or to help me deal with my problems. So I take away alcohol and I'm left with a life that I have no idea how to be happy living.

Cravings and withdrawls are perfectly normal for someone with one month. It will get better. The concensus is that you're not attending meetings, and though it's absolutly none of my business, I'd recommend doing so if that is the case. AA is not a religious program so you get to choose or invent your own higher power. If they don't work for you try SMART, or Rational Recovery. The only thing you stand to lose doing this is neurosis, paronoia, and lonlieness.