View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
michaelj
Michael

Stayingsober,

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a bad spell. It will get better with time, the cravings will abate and you will look back on this period as one in which you fought a hard battle. You will feel enormously proud of yourself because you have done what many believe is impossible, you will have beaten an addiction.
One of the things that I noticed most when I stopped drinking was that the minutes, hours and days were so much longer. It takes quite an effort to fill that extra time and I feel that you are struggling to do that.
Alcohol is the greatest thief of time and we as alcoholics have become used to the foreshortening of our lives. Time simply flies when you are drunk and you have no problem filling your days with a bottle by your side.
Now that we are sober time stretches back to where it should have been all along and this is a huge change for us, and one for which I was completely unprepared. The old saying "the devil makes work for idle hands" now comes into play. With the extra time comes extra thinking and the possible entry of self-doubt. The only way I know to combat these problems is to be busy. I see from your post that you are looking for work and I wish you every success in your search. Work gives me a great focus and I can immerse myself in the everyday and completely forget my addiction. You also mention study and you may find that that will take you away from the old habits and ways that you were accustomed to with alcohol.
I have just re-read what I have written and I feel as though I sound like an agony aunt here but I can only give you the benefit of my experience and hope that It is of some use to you.

I really wish you well in sobriety, good luck

Michael