View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 07:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Time4Me11

Very interesting, contentious and pertinent thread guys!

No reason that reconvering alcoholics can't have strong opinions and healthy argument...I often get that "neutered" feeling when reading some of the posts here.

I am at two weeks in my recovery and have done it almost completely alone due to my current geographical location...outside of supportive phone calls and SR! I really just had had enough of my behaviour, disease, addiction, destructiveness, misery...and on and on.

Anyway, heading back to my home in NYC in a day to start a full time program or combination of. I will check out AA again. (along with other alternatives)..but, got to add that it really didn't pull me in the first few tries either.

I do have a deep, complicated and personal "uderstanding/relationship" with what I would call a "Higher Power".... or universal energy. But, it moves THROUGH me and is not there simply to surrender to. I cannot just throw up my arms and move out of the way...I am responsible and the conduit and interpretter of that power.

Buddhism has become a very interesting study and support for me...and it surely doesn't "preach" any sort of outside reliance...although it is based on the genuine birthright of every living being as being filled with radiance and goodness...we just have to get back to it...but, without a lot of hand holding.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAh...Anyway, it will be interesting to see how these belief systems are accepted...or not...in my local AA group.

Appreciate hearing of any alternatives Don S and others...Finding what works for me will be a very important part of my recovery.

Lance