View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 01:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JaySee
Choosing Life

Hi Renee

I can relate - all I did was go to bars/pubs so when I quit there was a great void. This worried me at first - but as time goes on, and my "serenity" if you like, has increased this isn't such a problem. All those things that I used to put people down for e.g

washing the car
doing the garden
spending time with friends & family
reading

I can now do.

Before I would think - "Why do all that when I could be in the pub.?" That was one of my favourite excuses to carry on doing what I was doing (a drinking life) was that I would have nothing to do or wouldn't have any friends if I stopped drinking. Just a little bit more of that "insanity" that is mentioned in step two.

Now I hike, meet friends (in and out of the fellowship), play the piano, read, travel the county bellringing (OK, that is a strange one ) - but the main thing I have noticed now about any of these "sober" activities is that they have meaning now, they are real and I enjoy them. When I had the obsession to drink - all the above stuff was just an inconvenience and something that got in the way of what I really wanted to do - which was drink.

Keep going Renee - follow that program you are on and in time - "Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change"

much love
JC