View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
HonestlyTrying

4thdimension86,
I hear your position exactly, I too attend AA meetings as I would need to drive 30+ miles if I need an NA meeting, OR attend AA which there are 6 to pick from every week within 12 miles. Personally, my home group is an NA meeting that I found my sponsor at. I STARTED A NEW NA MEETING when I was 9 months clean, because I felt there is a need. That meeting has had 4-10 addicts weekly for almost a year now. So I do 2 NA meetings and 2-4 AA meetings a week. The "recovery community" I live in is very accepting of addicts at AA meetings. Alcoholics are not jumping up and down to try out an NA meeting, but are tolerant and accepting of addicts in AA "open" meetings.
I have only encountered intolerance at an AA area sponsored seminar. Lots of long timers that know AA rules, and one found it necessary to make sure I knew that "addicts" were not permitted, only alcoholics.
The experience has given me a lot to think about, learn, and explore traditions, and opinions.
Mention of drugs in the BB is something I will need to learn. I explored this topic in the AA section, now I am checking out the consensus in the NA section.
I do feel like I am straddling a fence sometimes. I belong to both programs. I need both programs.