Thread: Adult Child
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
tuxiemama

Originally Posted by kittibear33 View Post
Here's the basics: I am what's commonly referred to as an "adult child" of a recovering alcoholic (Dad) and a recovering drug addict (Mom).

For the fact that my stepdad sexually assaulted me, I do not associate with him nor my mother or her family anymore (she doesn't believe me).

I joined this forum in hopes of better understanding what my Dad is going through, because I grew up without him... my Mom did a fine job keeping us from him and actually took advantage of him to get him to give up his parental rights of myself and my brother, but that's a different story.

My Dad. I love him. I don't know him as much as I'd like to, but I'm working on that. It's hard because I don't want to ever be in the situation where I'd have to tell him 'no' and the possible outcome of him being angry with me. I don't have another parent to go to. I'm more fragile than I come off as. So... How can I be supportive of him... but keep the boundaries?

This is probably meant for a different forum, but I did introduce myself, right?
Your father is lucky to have you.... my children are 14,000 miles away with their mum and I am universally hated in my hometown but would give up everything to have one or all of them with me

Just being there with your Dad will HELP both of you so much