View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

When I start getting into dark places, the only thing that really ever, ever gets me back into the sunlight of the spirit is being of service to others. Even when every bit of me rebels or balks at the idea, when I pick up the phone or meet with someone or shake a newcomers hand and talk to them...I get freer.

The antidote for sinking into self is to think of others. There is nothing like hearing what is going on with someone, helping them out, just listening or going over the big book with someone newer than you, to jump start serenity and ease with one's self in the world. It does for me, at least. At the very least, as mentioned, you can tell someone what you mentioned here. I bet you donuts to dollars that they will understand you completely and let you know how they deal with it.

You also mention staying sober through meetings and a great sponsor. Remember the steps are what free us from all this and truly keep us sober. Sponsor and meetings only go so far. Keep at the stepwork...don't let up on this. Call your sponsor too!

You're not alone.