View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jdooner

Pipefish - I agree. Setting up and feeling part of something bigger than yourself has tremendous benefits to the addict. We addicts have often felt ostracized and often use or indulge (substance or behavior) in activities to provide something we feel we can't achieve naturally. Its the heart of any addiction really - compensation through using or indulging.

By being part of like minded people we chemically feel better. We provide more balance naturally, which is useful when we are so out of balance, particularly in the beginning. This is the same with spiritual awareness and development. WE begging to exercise our brains, which have been in atrophy for so long through this meditation and prayer.

I accpeted AA then I fought AA and its interesting I have done a giant loop to come back to th same spot. In doing so my resolve and understanding are far greater. I see such wisdom in the steps. While times have changed since the early writings, it is amazing that the founders of AA understood these traits to put together this program. Hats off!

I believe one of the challenges is interpretation of messages for different times. For example, it is my belief that if the BB was written today or the fellowship founded it would be call Addicts Anonymous. I also believe there might be some changes in God as a diety and a bit more around Higher Power of your understanding. I don't mean to offend, as these are simply my observations, experience and opinions. Either way, I am looking forward to my step meeting tonight. I have purchased some books for my group.