View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Hi Trudging:
How's it going? That's interesting about the fellow referring to "Scouts", people, like I was, going out to experiment whether they might possibly drink in moderation. I was one of the more famous "scouts". And I heard other AA folks refer to that as doing "laboratory work", experimenting to see whether they might just "possibly" have a drink or two, or three...Even though the laboratory tests invariably failed, at least for me, I had to be thorough and insisted on further experiments. Amazing thoroughness! And very predictable results.
Look at it this way. You've decided to give up slavery and get something in return. Sobriety and happiness. Seems like a fair exchange.
If you have problems getting to an AA meeting, then why not try to join with others to form your own? Or investigate, as you say, other programs, like Rational Recovery. Although I had issues with AA, but stuck with it, I don't think it's the only way out. There are other ways to sobriety. Being in contact with other recovering alcoholics helped me.
Good luck and every good wish to you.

W.