View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
GracieLou

I cannot speak for all BB meetings or groups, only the one I attend.

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
(1) I note at such meetings, I have attended such for 7 months, that invariably discussion involves agreement with all that has been read. Would some questioning be out of place?
I don't feel any questions or comments are out of place but if the question is lengthy then it may be best kept to discuss with your sponsor. I find that some bring intense or in-depth issues they are having to the floor and that it sometimes takes away from the meeting. I am there to help other, for sure, but it is also not fair to others to take over the entire meeting with one persons view or issue.

(2) RE (1) How does this apply to treasurer, secretary etc.
I don't feel it applies. You are still a member and although you have some responsibilities during the meeting you still have the same standing as a regular member when it comes to discussion.

(3) As a generalization, are all BB comments more or less equally weighted.I have been told that the stuff written in italics is more important.
I have never been told this. Everything is read and holds equal weight IMO. I do feel it should be read and not skipped over like a footnote.

(4) As I recently became secretary of a BB group I do not want to create controversy, nor do I wish to agree with issues I do not personally feel happy about. Perhaps I should resign as secretary??
I guess I am not sure what issues you are referring to. If you mean group issues then when you have a group meeting you can bring them up. That does not mean you will get your way. It is a group conscience and a vote is usually done to agree or disagree on any changes. There is nothing wrong with bringing them up if you feel strongly about them.

If you are referring to ideas or meanings of the BB that you don't agree with then I feel it is best to take that up with your sponsor. I don't mean that to sound like I don't want to hear your problems, I mean it so you can get into a more detailed discussion on your opinions. That does not mean you are going to change your mind or that your sponsor will attempt to change it for you. It means we have an hour and everyone deserves a chance to speak. Some of the best meetings we have are a discussion that lasted the entire time and only three paragraphs were read. Quality and not quantity I think comes to mind at a BB meeting.

I love my BB meeting because I get so much more out of it because I can listen while others read. I hear things that I swear I never read before even though I have. Also the comments from others can help me see it from another point of view. There are times I am not relating to a story and then someone says something and it clicks that I indeed have felt that way or experienced that.

If you are new to the position I would give it more time. I am a secretary at one meeting and I stamp/sign the court papers and I sign the lead certificate. It was passed to me, well more like they asked me to do it one night and then it was my job, but that is okay. I think that is how it works sometimes. Someone pulls out the chair to see if you are ready to sit in it and I was.