Thread: Letter to my AH
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Katchie, It is my personal opinion (others may disagree with me) that it doesn't matter whether you give it to him or not. It probably won't help and it won't hurt him, either.
The alcoholic who is still active is inclined to view everyone and everything that comes between them and the alcohol as the "enemy"---and it is usually met with denial, blame-shifting and resentment (expressed directly or indirectly).

I think writing it out for yourself can go a long way to organizing your own thoughts and feelings, wither way.

It is important for you to establish boundaries for yourself and your kids. Like--the driving thing. Active alcoholics tend to respond to action more than words. I am saying, when you establish a boundary for yourself--you need to be willing and able to enforce it--back it up--otherwise, it is just hollow words.

by the way, I wrote a response in your other thread--about being afraid to talk to him.
I suspect that there is a lot of fear beneath your fear of talking to him---there almost always is.

dandylion