View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Nevertheless

Originally Posted by TigerKnee View Post
Coming from a family of alcoholics is extremely tough. It's literally EVERYWHERE for me. My father died from organ failure due to alcoholism. How have all of you been able to sidestep situations where you are pressured to drink??

I can't just skirt gatherings.
There were a number of social events I got so drunk I had to lean on someone to keep from falling down. Or saying or doing something really stupid.
So for me,looking at the bigger picture I was better off not going than all of the regret and embarrassment.
So I just sidestepped by not attending. Now after being sober a few years I have no desire to attend drinkfests anyway. I only went to get drunk(for me there is no other reason to drink). So to my way of thinking,if everyone else is drinking.....Why Go? There was a thread very recently asking would the sober you hang out with the drunk you. My answer to that was pretty simple. HELL NO.... I don't want to hang out with the drunk anybody.
But when I quit I had tried many times and had a pretty good idea of the things and situations where I would fail. I avoided those things if there was any way to avoid them the first few months.
To succeed sobriety has to come above everything else. This is a disease that can and will kill us,and it must be treated that way. "one day" is not a day of the week. 'One day" may never come if we put it off long enough.
Fred