View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ProgressNotPerfection

I've been going to AA for 28+ years, with a ten year vacation from meetings in the middle of that, stayed clean and sober the entire time. The religious stuff isn't for me either. BUT!! I'm happier, healthier and having more fun when meetings are a regular part of my recovery exercises. Meetings make it easier in the beginning....

All those fantastic suggestions about what to do and not to do to achieve abstinence and keep it is wonderful stuff.

Go, learn what you can, listen and relate, don't compare (some are sicker than others) and leave the rest when you leave.

AA isn't an all or nothing, black and white proposition. Shades of grey.

I was at a meeting the other night and a guy said "You have to get down on your knees and pray if you want to stay sober." I thought, "Oh sheet! I screwed up! I've been sober since 1984 and have never, not once done that!"

AA doesn't keep me clean and sober -- it shows me things I can do to help myself stay clean and sober by people that are staying clean and sober -- and it is just one of the recovery resources in my toolbox for continued healthy living. Plus the coffee is free.....

Either way, best of all to you.....