Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ptcapote

Thanks guys for the great responses.

Cabo: both are in recovery although one relapsed awhile ago after 13 years of sobriety---she now has two years accumulated again, I think.

I agree that people are people and that relationships tend to bring out the whacky behavior in folks, although not always.

I suppose watching this relationship develop has made me think about my future and how I will feel if and when I decide to date again. I am definitely in the camp of wanting someone with an understanding of alcoholism although who knows how I will feel about that in the future. Maybe it won't matter down the road as much as it does now. It's just that I would have to either leave out huge chunks of my past or be honest about some things that would sound pretty freaking awful for a non-addict. Even thinking of having that conversation makes me shudder now.

It also kind of freaks me out also watching the surrogate process that goes on as well. Like both of them check with their sponsors about everything...

I don't know how I would feel about that either. I can't imagine having a "supervisor" in a relationship although I adore my sponsor and she is not that way at all with me.

Anyway, rambling thoughts.

Thank you all for your input and experience. As usual, you all rock