View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Peter G

The only support you need to quit drinking comes from your own guts, motivations, and soul. And if you do need to quit drinking, then that action has to become the single most important thing in your life right now, even more important than concerns over what your family will or won't do - and that includes your wife. Why? Because you're utterly useless to her and everyone else as a drunk.

So many of us get sober alone, our loved ones long gone. Otherwise they are standing over us with shotguns, ready to blow our brains out for all the tragic crap we've pulled. In fact, if I took a poll of ALL the bottomed out drunks I know that have since become sober, there aren't many who counted on any "support" to do so... as they (too) had destroyed that possibility. We tend to burn our lives to the ground dunchya know.

I don't know your story with booze, and I haven't had time to read the bulk of the thread. That's my disclaimer, in case my reply offends you or disagree with things others may have said. Thing is; if you are having serious drinking issues then I'd suggest you consider the support your wife is already offering you, just by still sticking around. Try to understand that she's still in your life right now, while you muck about in a bar immediately after a binge.

And ya, ummm... you were sitting in a local bar trying to figure out how to quit drinking.... so let's be a bit more 'bottom line', can? You haven't seen any 'errors of your ways'. That IS one of those pesky "errors of our ways". Perhaps you've finally proper recognized your problem, which is a good start, but you're obviously still mired in the insanity of active alcoholism, that you chose a bar to lament over this.

There's really only one thing that I can take from your OP... you've potentially found a brand new excuse paradigm. "No support" touches on core familial trust issues, which is fantastic for feeling oh-so righteously indignant. "I've just found out that I can't trust someone I love, when I need them the most!!". Sound familiar? It's absolutely, 100% bullocks. 'No Support' is nothing but yesterday's "I'm bored", or last month's "nobody cares", and next year's "what's the point". These are just the necessary rationalizations which keeps us feeding this addiction, and keeps us proper messed up.

If you really want and end to this downward spiral into madness, enough that literally nothing will sway you from the task? Stay out of bars, gab some clarity of purpose, and absorb the gravity of what could become the single biggest fight of your life. Real changes do happen, oft times completely exclusive of familial "support" and/or the love of a good woman, but the impetus and work can only come from within you. Full stop.

Remember, your loved ones are the very people who have - time and again - suffered, (often silently), under collateral damage from your many alcoholic explosions. If I were you I'd simply be thankful she hasn't filed for divorce or tried to murder you in your sleep, and leave it at that. Just sticking it out with us knuckleheads as we set fire to our lives is an enormous amount of support.