View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
WNY Addict
Just For Today

The step working guide is cool, but a lot of sponsorship families have their own worksheets that they use. The step working guide can be complicated for some. A lot of sponsorship familes use the original worksheets that people before them used prior to having stepworking guides and such.

My family's philosophy is to just keep it simple, and our worksheets reflect that. They're older than the Basic Text.

The stepwork book is a nice thing to read through for a better understanding of the steps, but I got a lot more out of reading It Works, How & Why. We can always read the explanatory material on our own time.
Originally Posted by PASteelerfan
I just bought the big blue book, The 12 step book and the NA it works How and why, and The NA Step working guide. I can't wait to start reading them.
I take it you're newer to The Program if you just bought the above mentioned books. No advice from me, but it was always suggested to me that I keep Book One of the Basic text as my primary reading material in early recovery. Don't overwhelm yourself, just keep it simple. I stayed away from Book 2 of the Basic Text in early recovery as well. I was told that I had enough horror stories in my life to tide me over, and those stories from the Basic Text could wait until I had a better footing in my recovery. A lot of the non-english versions of the Basic Text only contain Book One.

The Basic text is simple stuff, but you'll find that it takes on a whole different meaning each time you read it. We grow and the book takes on a new meaning each time I read it. Stuff that may have stood out in early recovery isn't as important the second time you read it, and stuff you looked over without fully understanding the first time around take on a whole new meaning.

BTW, It's not called the "big book" in NA, it's our Basic Text. The Big Book term is AA's name for their book