View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Boleo
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
Perhaps it might benefit AA to update and secularize its literature\traditions\teachings\etc for real and quit pretending that a higher power stops the drinking for the alcoholic.
This description of a Spiritual Awakening was written over 6 decades before I experienced it first hand.

"We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."
(page 85)

I don't believe the Big Book because it was written by a nice guy. I don't believe the Big Book because some nice people told me I should. I don't believe the Big Book because it is the popular thing to do. I believe the Big Book simply because it match's my personal experience precisely as I lived it.

If it does not match your experience, perhaps your experience is the result of inexperience?