View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

Sad for those who don't understand

How many times have we read the words "I'm not doing AA because I'm not religious" or "I refuse to say that I'm powerless".

If they could only see that AA is far more than a program to achieve sobriety. For me, realizing that goodness and accountability remains on this earth and that it starts with me has restored my faith in humanity and in myself. The perk is I get to get sober at the same time.

They don't get the words "as we understand him" and choose to imagine people all praying to one God that they must believe in for them to be healed.

Finally, it's perceived that admitting being powerless is a negative experience. On the contrary, the day that I admitted that I was it was as though a ton of bricks had been unloaded off of my back. I was powerless, every attempt that I had made had failed.

I respect everyone's decision as to what works for them but I wish that I could share the indescribable feelings that I have now. The peace, the serenity, and the true enjoyment of life. I've had some close calls and because of this place and my belief in AA I continue forward. I never imagined that this could be possible, not ever. I truly believed that I would die alone as a drunk having alienated everyone in my life because of who I was when I drank. I was headed in that direction.

I just can't be more thankful. I see those comments and they're much representative of the surface. It's like saying you don't want to go see the pyramids because you saw a blurry picture of two of the stones. There is so much more to see with clarity.