Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
thislonelygirl
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by Aborigine View Post
My sister just died of Severe Acute Alcoholic Hepatitis. I'm haunted by what I saw. She was jaundiced, bloated with ascites, and bleeding. She was intubated with two tubes pumping blood from her lungs and stomach. There was blood filled in her colonoscopy bag. Blood and foam were seeping from her mouth and she had seven IVs pumping medicine into her.
She went into the hospital when she was having trouble breathing. She was drunk. They found fluid in her lung so admitted her. I guess she went through withdraw and her liver began to fail. She was alert and talkative the first week there then started turning yellow and acting like she was drunk or really drugged up, she could hardly move or speak, it was the amonia levels going to her brain from liver failure. They gave her lactolose, but she didn't come out of it. Her kidneys started to fail so she was transfered to a liver transplant center. They were going to do pre-op work on her and put her high on the list because she was so young, but her blood wouldn't clot because her liver was in total failure.
She died one month after being initially admitted. She deteriorated so fast.
We are all so heartbroken and I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through anything like this.

I am very sorry. I read this and cried. No one should go like that.
Its very sad and that you witnessed it.
I have not seen this but I cannot imagine the image would sit well with me.
Its good your talking about and seeking comfort in this. I wish the best.