View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
nbay2013

The last three months I was with my ExAB he was pounding back the vodka and using sleeping pills. I begged with him to stop; I cried, I used used logic, and tried to get him to a doctor. He said I was the ONLY one he could talk to. OMG, I felt like if I walked away he would die. I felt so guilty about the possibility of leaving him; I had been abandoned by my husband 18 years ago, when I had postpartum depression so the idea of leaving him alone was horrifying. I was seeing a therapist at the time and finally she was the one who gave me a wake up call. She said to me, "... he is a serious alcoholic. This isn't about you; it's about him. And if you stay, he may die." She explained that I was keeping him from his journey; after all if love, support, advice, emails, suggestions would have worked, he would have been cured, because I did ALL of that and more. So I walked. It was the worst worst feeling ever. He cursed me, he begged me, he left dozens of voice mails, and emails. It was just terrible. Then one week later, he found his way, somehow to an AA meeting where he cried and broke down in front of a room of strangers. He had to have some relief and I wasn't there to provide it anymore. He found people who could really help him. I am not saying how this will turn out for your fiance but I hear it's a pretty common story. I was keeping my BF from his bottom. We are not together anymore...but he is alive and sober.