View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Croissant

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
please keep in mind, he's BEEN to rehab and he HAS a psychiatrist, these are two excellent sources of SUPPORT should HE choose to get sober again. it's a trap WE fall into that WE are all they have...that WE are their only source of support. forgetting somehow the size of the planet and all that.

you cannot cajole him out of this. if YOU were really his solution, he'd be sober. but he's not, because this is not your job, not your problem to fix. if you feel he is truly a danger to himself, call 911 and have them do a care call. right now I don't know if you are "enabling" but you are keeping yourself caught in his trap. probably best to simply send the same consistent message - contact the rehab, or contact his psych dr or contact NA and they can help him.
I agree with all of the above.

I am an alcoholic now, and can say no one can fix me except me choosing and being ready to go down that road of recovery.

Your fiancé reminds me of my ex husband (who I was with when I was not a drinker). His recovery seemed to be all about what everyone else needed to do and not him. I would take Anvilheads advice and be calling an ambulance if you think he is a suicide threat. It's the best you can do.

You have a life to live too and it's not selfish for you to want that. If he is on a path to destruction....and refusing to take the help of Rehab, what exactly can you do?